Last week was possibly the longest week ever. A combination of a sudden earthquake, staying home, working with kids in the house, and just the complete exhaustion from reading COVID-19 news really made it feel like a long week. Personally I would say the weekend was better. We caught church on live stream, I did some work on my garden, reviewed our home inventory, washed the sheets…Basically had a normal weekend. What I noticed, was that I felt a lot better when I was busy.
I know a lot of people are making “Quarantine Goals” and such, which I think is great. I love a fresh start just as much as the next person, but for some reason, a quarantine goal feels weird. I’m struggling to put my finger on why, but it just does.
Instead, I’m trying to just carry on like I normally would, but I’m staying home. However, I thought I could use this wake-up-call type of moment we’re having to take a look at the goals that I set in January and recenter myself on them.
My 2020 goals were to…
- Eat dinner at the table.
- Work on my house projects.
- Invest more time in relationships with our friends and family.
- Write more.
So far, I’d say I’m actually doing really well with all of those goals…Maybe except eating at the dinner table, we could do better at that, but pretty much everything else, I’m cruising.
- I’ve finished four books. One I didn’t finish and one I’m still calling “in-progress) A full post to come about what I’ve read, what I’m reading, and what’s up next
- I’ve started some work on my house projects. Certainly not a lot of work on them, but some.
- I am almost being forced to spend time more time with my family whether I like that or not! Don’t worry, corey…I like it 😉
- And clearly, I’m writing more. I don’t think I expected so much of the contents of my writing to be about a pandemic, earthquakes, and anxiety, but here we are.
This year, the goals I set were themed around connections. Connections with other, with myself, and with the world around me. It has been hard even for only a few days to feel less connected, but I’m working on ways that I can continually recenter and stay focused on the road ahead and the goals I set for this year.
How are you staying centered?